Sunday, August 13, 2006

Organizing The Perfect Playroom

I am a very lucky woman to have one of these special rooms. If I didn’t, I would double-up, triple-up, even quadruple-up kids so I could turn a bedroom into a playroom. I believe in the “no toys in the bedroom” way of living. Why would I send my kid to a Matchbox-Lego-Barbie-TV-VCR-DVD-Computer-PlayStation filled room when they get in trouble?

By the way, we do have a computer for the kids in the kitchen, which is mine, and a TV/DVD player in the playroom. However, I am ANTI Nintendo, GameCube, Xbox, PlayStation, blah blah blah. I did buy the Ms. Pacman Plug and Play. (I’VE ROCKED ON MS. PAC MAN SINCE I WAS A KID, AND MY KIDS THINK I AM WAAAY COOL... SAY I’M A GAMER. THAT‘S RIGHT... A GAMER!!!)

Back to the subject at hand - organizing the Playroom.


I started off by separating all the toys into different categories. Blocks, Legos, Cars, Animals, Super Heroes, etc. Then, I headed down to Ikea and bought these great shelving units (about $80) with buckets that slide in and out. So, If you want to play
with blocks, you know where they are! I picked buckets I couldn’t see through. Why? It just looks messy when you can see the toys!! I know your asking, “Well how in the hell did you know which bucket had which toy?” Simple my friend, I labeled them. Then I realized I had a problem. Three years ago, I only had one child that could read!! Solution? I took pictures of the toys inside the buckets and taped them to the front! Check it out!

Now I know that probably seems SOOOO time consuming. It was. It took me days to get the damn shelves built, then separate and photograph all those wonderful little toys!!

THERE IS A HUGE PLUS TO ALL THE TIME I SPENT DOING THIS!!

My kids know exactly where everything is - even the three year old. I rarely get, “Mommy, I can‘t find my Buzz Lightyear!” Why not? Because it is in the Buzz Lightyear box, with the Buzz Lightyear photo on the front!!!! Get it?

The best part of my set-up is... cleanup!! My kids know where things go. When friends come to visit... they know what and where to put all the toys as well!! Slap a picture on your buckets and your world will change.

When the kids can clean up by themselves, Mommy gets to hang out a little longer!



Muthahood Ain’t For Sissies | Motherhood Ain’t For Sissies

1 Comments:

Blogger Jodi @ blog-o-licious said...

I love the labelling idea!

feel free to quote me (menopause ring joke)!

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home