Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Red Washcloth

Do your kids freak out from the sight of their own blood?

It’s crazy how children react when they see blood streaming from their bodies. I understand that it can be scary. I’m not heartless, but it can be ridiculous at times. Getting hurt at my house is likely to happen on a daily basis.

A few years ago, when when the three older boys were 2, 3 and 8, they had each already graduated from ER University. They all had received stitches by that time. Our doctor was already used to the weekly phone calls. The nurse would answer, “Who is hurt/sick this time?” I would laugh and rattle off the injuries/symptoms of the day.

One day, I had the “AHA” moment when I reached for a red and white checkered dish towel for whatever injury had occurred that particular day. I could still see the blood, but it wasn’t as noticeable as with the paper towels that I always seemed to use. The kid did not freak out as bad and the incident was not as traumatic as usual.

The next day, I ran down to Target and bought myself a red hand towel. I took it home, cut it up into smaller squares and voila... injury rags. They work like a charm! When the kids start to bleed from the head, I hand them the red towel. They always pull it off and take a look, but they can’t see the blood!!

BRILLIANT I TELL YOU!!!!

But I must warn you. When you do have to head over to the Emergency Room, please let the charge nurse know that it is a red towel. They tend to freak out when they see a “blood soaked “ towel on a child’s head! :)

Tags: | | |

Muthahood Ain’t For Sissies | Motherhood Ain’t For Sissies

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home